Sunday, August 06, 2006

Shedding my skin

I finally have internet at home. I'm starting to amass more things at home, which is good because I gave so much away when I moved that I'm seriously lacking things like a coffee table, or any table for that matter.

My apartment is starting to feel more like home. I have a new sofa. I'm learning my way around Detroit....sometimes it takes a few wrong turns through some interesting scenery....

But I can't help but feel as if my life in Ann Arbor was ages ago. There isn't much left of my life there. Or should I say that I didn't carry much of my Ann Arbor life to Detroit with me? My sister and Josh are in Virginia now, I have a full time job (no longer a student), my social circle is completely different, my lifestyle is different. It's almost like I've shed my skin and I'm starting a new life. Kyle is the only thing in my life that has remained constant over the past few months. Unfortunately for him, that means he's been the go-to-guy for me during this adjustment period. And he is most deservingly showered with love because he's been completely wonderful and understanding when I've become emotional and needy :-)

This is probably reading as if I'm miserable and having a hard time. Honestly, I'm doing great. I'm enjoying my new Detroit life and I love my apartment. I do miss some aspects of my days in Ann Arbor and I miss Josh and Jess terribly, but I handle change rather well.

When I'm not missing my family I'm doing fun stuff with Kyle. We went mountain biking yesterday. He's a champ, having raced competitively (most recently last weekend--see pic below) and yet still willing to go out on the trail with me and my no suspension old-school Specialized mountain bike. I hadn't done any serious riding in over two years! Kyle says that I did I great job :-) It was a 9 mile trail and there were times that I was worn out, but overall I think I did pretty darn good for not riding in a while. For Kyle it was more like a walk through the park ;-)

Other than driving around looking for more furniture, going to work, seeing Kyle, and missing my family, not much else is going on. I'll update more regularly now that my freakin' internet is working (only 3 weeks post move-in)!

3 comments:

Solomon said...

glad you'll be able to update more frequently now :) ...and as for ann arbor, you and kyle should come back and VISIT and hang out sometime!!! i KNOW you miss dominick's! glad to hear things are going well <:><

Kara said...

i might be coming back to A2 in the fall to recruit for The Company! we should all meet up at dominick's! :)

Anonymous said...

Janine! I miss you! Glad to hear you're adjusting to life in the D-town. You must come to Cleveland soon. And we all need to plan a reunion in AA. Love you! :)