Thursday, September 14, 2006

Work!

I find it funny. Really. Well no, not really....it isn't funny. I'm frustrated with my job. I love the company. I like my co-workers. I can't stand the apparently "normal" development process of a large study. It's essentially like having 10 very important, very intelligent, and very busy people in the same room and trying to get them to decide on something--just. one. thing. Except that everyone is talking via conference call. No one can make up their mind and once they do, they change it.

As the Project Manager, I'm responsible for the logistics of the study: making sure what is decided on is carried out. Ah, you see my dilemma. I make preparations, work for days on something, then I get the word that so and so changed their mind and we're doing it "this" way now. I'm really good at my job. What makes me good at my job is my attention to detail, thinking through tasks and being thorough. I like timelines, knowing what needs to happen when, how things need to happen. Unfortunately, the traits that make me good at my job also make me prone to endless frustration at how these studies typically run. What I didn't know about large multi-center studies is that people are always changing their minds, nothing is ever set in stone, the details are constantly changing. I can't rely on the study protocol in order to get tasks completed because the study protocol is obsolete 10 minutes after the "final" draft is created.

We're 4 weeks away from launching this large study. I'm freaking out at this point, seeing as how I need to do 4 million things in the next 4 weeks and we're still discussing the details. Aaarrgghhh!! Just to be clear, this is how things typically run. I either need to adapt or find another job! I think I'm doing a pretty good job at adapting.

Luckily, I have a full, lovely life outside of work (why I haven't been updating my blog) that keeps me happy!

No comments: