Sunday, July 09, 2006

Yes, I am still here!

You may think: "Janine's working, she's not in school anymore, so why the heck doesn't she update her blog?" Well, I just have not had the time. The only reason I am updating now is because I'm forcing myself to take a break from packing up my apartment to post a "hello".

In the few weeks since my last post I've finished my thesis, apartment hunted in Detroit, watched the Detroit fireworks from a friend's 20th floor balcony right across the street from the Renaissance Center (basically where the action is), spent a long weekend up north with Kyle and his family for the 4th, and started packing for my move into "the D".

Yes, I am moving to Detroit. I am a little apprehensive, not because of the location, but because I'll be living by myself for the first time in three years. That and I know I am going to miss Ann Arbor's perks. I don't think I'll be doing much running around my new place. But--my office is only 5 miles away, Kyle is 2 miles away, and I got an amazing deal on a one bedroom-loft apartment. It is pretty cool. The sad news is that Jess and Josh are moving far, far away. They're moving to Virginia. At this point I honestly don't know how I am going to spend my days without them around! Josh has lived with me since he was 10 months old. Just the thought of not seeing him every day completely breaks my heart. Luckily for me I have a job, a salary, and a rent payment that won't suck up my paycheck, so I'll be making frequent trips to visit them. Alas, I still fear I am going to be a very lonely girl.......with a huge phone bill.

I've been packing up the apartment this weekend and it's amazing how you think it will only take you a day or two and yet, you spend two days just sorting through crap that's been lying around, trying to figure out if you should keep it, toss it, or donate it. I thought I'd get most of my packing done this weekend and now that it is Sunday night I see a massive mess and very little progress made. WTF? This process sure does help to cleanse the debris from you life, though. I am a reformed pack rat and with every move I toss more stuff that I previously thought I couldn't live without. Like those class notes from high school or the old New Jersey license plate that was on my dad's '87 Jetta. One thing I never throw away on principle are photos. Ooohh, I take that back, I threw one away today. So I have a large U-haul box full of photos, all organized, that I lug around from apartment to apartment; I tell myself each time I move that I'm going to put them in a photo album, but that obviously hasn't happened yet.

I only have 5 days to finish packing, while working 8 hours/day, and 7 days to spend with Jess and Josh before they leave. Unfortunately, work will be extra-busy this week. Our collaborators from the NIH are flying in tomorrow to finalize the details for the study we're conducting, which means that I have a "Team Dinner" tomorrow night, meetings all day Tuesday, I'm skipping out on Tuesday's team dinner, and meetings on Wednesday. I think I can handle it, but I do believe my brain is rebelling. As the Project Manager of this study I am responsible for the logistics of all steps involving our patient population--which means I need to track and take care of over 4,800 people. That's a little mind-numbing. But, I'm looking forward to the challenge and I like to be organized, so it should end up fine. If not, then I guess I'll never work at the NIH ;-)

OK, I've sat still for long enough.......but I'll leave you with some pics from my trip up to Kyle's cabin for the 4th--which was a great time! Me and 11 members of his family went on boat rides, tubing down a river, at TONS of food, and managed to get some sun.

The boys: Kyle's cousin, Kyle, his brother, and his other cousin

Sunset over Lake Michigan by the Charlevoix lighthouse

No comments: